2.16.2011

What is Art?

I have been dealing with this question for all my life. What do you consider as art? Is it a drawing, a painting? Is it digital? Does it make you think or give you a certain feeling? What is it? Art is something that is hard to define because the definition is constantly changing and growing. Art has outreached sculptures and drawings. It has involved so much that some people don’t even consider this art:
Michelangelo: Creation of Adam, 1508-12, Sistine Chapel
 I really couldn’t tell you who doesn’t but there might be some people in the world. Art has expanded to movies, photographs, and ultimate deeper meaning and controversy through art. In reading the first 100 pages of Staniszewski’s “Believing is Seeing” I really didn’t get out of a clear definition of art. I got this idea that art, like I said before, is changing and growing throughout the time. I don’t think this is a bad thing and I would definitely recommend the book so far. We as people have defined art over the years but many of the artists who created the work did not consider their work to be art. Some were commissioned for it, others just made it because it was needed to be made. The art we put in such high esteem was used for practical use: for ornament, to represent their gods, to hold their water, and even for the dead.

What is Art? Well one thing I do know is that it will never be clearly defined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment